Government House, Sydney
Government House looks like a castle because it was drawn as one, sight unseen, by an English architect who never saw the site.
Edward Blore, architect to William IV and Queen Victoria, designed it in London; Colonial Architect Mortimer Lewis adapted the plans for its sandstone site on the harbour and oversaw construction from 1836. Governor George Gipps moved in ahead of the finish, in 1845; the building itself — castellated walls, pointed-arch porte-cochère and all — was complete by 1847.
A four-horse coach loaded with passengers in formal dress waits at that porte-cochère in one photograph, dated only to "the 1870s" — the everyday traffic of a working vice-regal residence. Decades later a mounted trooper in a plumed helmet rides beside an open barouche carrying the Duke of Gloucester, in Sydney on his 1934 tour of Australia, the same tour that took him to Hyde Park that November to dedicate the Anzac Memorial before some 100,000 people.
Between the two is the view from an upper window: terraced gardens, a lawn tennis court, and the masts of a square-rigged ship at anchor below — the harbour Government House has looked out on, largely unchanged, since Gipps first saw it.