St Leonards Park, North Sydney
North Sydney came out of the war with something to build, and what it built was a bandstand. The Music Shell in St Leonards Park, designed by Peddle Thorp and Walker, opened on 13 November 1948 when Clive Evatt, the Minister for Housing, addressed an audience of four thousand people who had come to hear the Sydney Symphony Orchestra play in a public park.
That first season was photographed at night, which was the point: free open-air concerts under the trees, deck chairs and picnic rugs down the slope, prams parked on the grass, an audience applauding into the dark. The violinists rehearsing inside the shell and the crowd sitting out beyond the light belong to the same evenings.
It is a very particular idea of what a suburb owes the people who live in it, and it lasted — the shell was restored in 1993 and is still in use. The park around it has been North Sydney's open ground since the 1860s and holds North Sydney Oval on its southern side, but for one summer at the end of the 1940s the thing worth photographing was a curved white shell and the several thousand people sitting in front of it.